I'm approaching this project much differently than Tap the Thing! When I started getting really into the project, I used GitHub's toolset to lay out and track all of the features and tasks associated with getting a simple mobile game completed and on the app store. With Untitled Story Game there is so much to do, and so much of it is in flux, that I'm just kind of diving in and trying things out. As you can imagine, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Here's an example of how I approached one particular road block.
Dear Reader, I am not an artist. I know nothing of 3D modeling. This may change one day, but not for this project. I'm using some low poly assets from Synty Studios and polyperfect. Both of these creators are phenomenal. Only problem is, the set of props doesn't completely overlap with the key interaction items I have planned for the game. I spent a couple of hours searching for what I might put in the small closet in the room. There really weren't any good options. The asset packs included shelves, some folded clothes, and the like, but not enough variety to be convincing. I started searching for yet another low poly asset pack, but none of them seemed to have the prop set I was looking for.
After thinking about it for a bit, and subsequently noticing how out of place a laptop looked on the dresser, it sparked an idea. The small closet shall become a small office space, and the reason for this can become a quirk of the character and potentially even a key story point. I've always heard of examples where constraints can spark creativity, and it was actually quite thrilling to have that happen to me.